Monday, February 24, 2014

"Beyond Our Expectations"


This is the moment of truth. Today is the horrifying event that happens once for every semester— “The Card Giving.”

*insert girly scream with background horror music here*

This is the event when you’ll get your very own report card with your grades for every subject and your average grade on it. The report card also contains remarks from your teacher. Scary, right? No, I am not kidding. I think every student is very nervous as I am when it is almost the card-giving event. And so, I am right here with my mother inside the classroom, waiting for my class adviser to call my surname and give the card to me. I am in a very deep thought. “I did my best, right? Or was it not enough?” I asked myself nervously. I remembered what one of my classmates said, that card-giving is much scarier than a certain horror movie (sorry, I forgot the name of the movie). I shrugged at the thought of it. I just waited at my seat nervously. A few minutes later, the class adviser called my surname, “Please come forward to get your report card.” My mother stood up and went to my adviser. When she got my report card, she let me read it first. “No… This couldn't be real.” I muttered as I scroll my eyes, looking at my grades. “86, 89, 90, 86,… 79!!!?” The last number pounded heavily on my chest. “What happened? How could this happen?” My mother grabbed the card from my hands. There was silence for a moment. Soon, a dark aura started to emit from my mother. “Holy— I know where this is going.” I whispered.
When we got back to our house, my mother was really mad… at me. She was continuously blabbering about my grades. It seems like she’s chanting an evil summoning spell. “Ugh, you’re so noisy!” I exclaimed before heading to my bedroom. But even I am mad at myself. A lot of questions were stacking up in my head. I realized that I didn't do my best; I did the worst thing I could ever do. I just didn't exerted more efforts. That time, regret was taking all over me. Therefore, I sighed and closed my eyes. After a while, I decided to text my best friend. I immediately got a reply from her, stating that it is alright. I should just do better next time. I smiled because of her text; until, my mother called me.

“You turn my smile upside down…” I groaned.

I went to where my mother is. She, then, asked me to take a seat. “Yup, I’m in a big trouble.” I said to myself mentally. My mother started, “What happened to you?” “I dunno.” I replied obliviously. “I am serious. Give me a real answer.” “What, are you saying that what I just said is not a real answer to your question? If so, then, what is it?” I said sarcastically. “Give me your phone.” Now, she is raising her voice. “Okay, okay! I really don’t know how but it’s just that I am having a hard time in coping up with the new system of lessons.” “And I am trying my best, just so you know!” I continued. “Well, that is a satisfying answer”, she flipped the page of the book she was reading. “I know that it’s hard for you and that you are trying your best. So next time, even if you aren't on the Top 5 list, I hope that you’ll have a much better grade. Better than that ‘79’ grade of yours in music.” She chuckled. “Stop laughing, it is not funny.” I frowned. “I’ll let you pass this time. If your grade increases, I will give you something good as a reward.” “Really!?” I jumped. “Aim your best! If you can, make me go up the stage.” She smiled and started to walk towards her bedroom.


“Okay then.” I smiled back at her.

No comments:

Post a Comment